The Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act 9994 also known as Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010 was signed today, June 18, 2010.
The benefits and privileges include:
- Grant of 20 percent discount and exemption from value-added tax (VAT) on the purchase of goods and services
- 5%t discount on electric and water consumption provided that the individual meters for the utilities are registered in the name of the senior citizen and that monthly consumption should not exceed 100 kilowatt hours of electricity and 30 cubic meters of water
- free vaccination against the influenza virus and pneumococcal disease for poor seniors;
- P2,000 death benefit assistance;
- and monthly social pension of P500 for indigent older persons.
Starting July 6, senior citizens will no longer have to pay the value-added tax (VAT).